Monday, August 30, 2010

LeMay Car Show

This last Saturday was the big 33rd LeMay Car Show and Auction and it was amazing. I volunteered at the Marymount grounds dealing with ticket sales. It was a bit chilly, in fact before the crowds came a good portion of conversation with the other volunteers was how cold we were.  But once the bus loads of people came there was simply no time to even acknowledge cold hands and feet. I met some amazing, friendly people and the six hours of volunteering went by fast. Then the rest of the day was dedicated to seeing the sights and sounds of the car show.

I had no idea how much fun this car show was going to be and I definitely recommend coming next year if you even live somewhat near the Pierce County area. I can understand why people travel clear from the east coast for this event. I took over 300 pictures between the car show and collection of cars at the LeMay Museum at Marymount location and the LeMay house. It is absolutely mind boggling how many cars Harold LeMay had in his collection just looking at what is currently at Nancy LeMay's, his wife, home.

Here a just a few pictures of classic and vintage cars that really stuck out to me from the event:

1930 Model A Ford Special Delivery Truck

Working tickets sales at the front gate definitely has its advantages, it was where all the collector cars came to enter the show.  This picture is of three Isettas in a row! So cool!


A really cool old time bus, going to have to ask for more info. on this one.


A absolutely beautiful cherry red 1956 Chevrolet Bel Air, I want one just like this one!


Isn't it adorable, a 1957 Volkswagen "Shorty"

Volkswagen Thing, though I'm not sure of the year


A pink 1967 Mustang - beautiful! I want one of these too!


No clue as to what it actually is but isn't it cool?


This beautiful flower box right here made me think of being in Disneyland, only for classic and vintage cars.



One of my absolute favorites from the show a 1914 Detroit Electric Priscilla

A 1964 Amphicar - a car that can drive in the water. By this point I of the day I was absolutely exhausted but it was a ton of fun!

It truly was a amazing day filled with so many great classic, vintage and sporty cars, along with other amazing items such as Nancy LeMay's antique doll collection - including a couple of Annie dolls, all nine original Strawberry Shortcake dolls and a couple of the very early Barbie and Ken dolls. It you are interested in seeing more of the pictures I took of the event  click here . There is 204 pictures in the album.

I hope you have enjoyed my post about the car show and some of the great pictures of the cars. The LeMay car show and auction always happens the last Saturday in August so mark your calendars for next year!
'Til next time have a totally amazing day!

7 comments:

  1. Nice photos, it looks like a fun show!

    The big white RV is a Corvair-powered "Ultra Van" motorhome:
    http://www.corvair.org/chapters/ultravan/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it really was fun and thank you for the information on the "Ultra Van"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have any other photos of the Ultra that you could share?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is one other one but its from the same angle it is in the album that I link to through Picasa. If its there when I go to volunteer on Friday I'll try and take more pictures of it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Owen, unfortunately the Ultra was not there today. Sorry, but I can keep a look out for more when I go to car shows. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete