Saturday, August 21, 2010

Learning Classic Car Terminology...

I almost forgot that I promised to report back on my list of questions that I had developed over the last entry with the 1929 Imperial L-80 Roadster that I was going to ask the volunteers at LeMay.

So its time for some basic classic car terminology:
Body Pillars: This is the support for the cars windows and roof.  For example in the picture below of the limousine the metal the holds the front windshield in place is called Pillar A, the metal between the front and second window is called Pillar B and then C, etc. till it gets to the metal support holding the rear windshield.


Arched vertical hood louvers: These are the vertical slits in the hood of a engine to ensure proper ventilation. This is shown in the image of the Imperial Roadster's picture below.

They remind me of the shark gills on the side of their head that they use to breathe. 
Cowl ventilator: A cowl ventilator is a curve on the inside dash board that helps with wind flow. Thus I have learned that cowl ventilators and cowls are the same thing.

When I went into LeMay to ask these questions I thought it would be some profound  item on the car but I have found that a lot of times these certain qualities are just little intricate details.In a way I guess it is sort of fashion statement for cars. A sweater have crew necks, cowl necks, or v necks while classic cars can have front body pillars, cowl ventilators and arched vertical hood louvers. It is all terminology that one must embrace when coming into the new world of classic cars much like embracing a new language and culture.
I hope you enjoyed this blog about my experience with classic car terminology.
'Til next time have an amazing day!


p.s. Thank you to Joe Reasoner, John Meister and the others that have so patiently put up with me asking so many questions about basic and simple things regarding classic cars. I really do appreciate it! You have given this classic car novice just a little bit more knowledge about this world of classic automobiles. So I just wanted to say:  THANK YOU!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment