Monday, May 24, 2010

Thanking volunteers and a great gift

The volunteers uneasily stepped forward to receive their assignment after many others have ducked their heads or avoided eye contact:
Their mission.... To have fun and cause a little laughter in the room!
 Sunday was  the Museum's Volunteer Picnic Driving Tour.
Although I did not make it to all of the stops, which included the a motorcycle museum in Spanaway, the Museum's Fife location and a private car collection up towards Puyallup, I did get to come to the last stop back at Marymount for games and a picnic lunch.

It was great to meet new people and get to know the names of some of the people I have passed by and never got the chance to talk to.

The games were fun too- I "won" a baseball cap and later was given, there were many prizes left over, a poster of a nice looking race car (not particularly sure what kind it is though).

The games were based off the television show, which I have not seen, called "Minute to Win it."

I was with the starting group that participated in the first game, our team's mission was to pull out all the tissues from a tissue box in under a minute using one hand and only pulling them out one at a time. My forearm was indeed sore afterwords but I enjoyed it.

Later games including shaking ping pong balls out of empty tissue boxes that were strapped to the participants backs, dipping your nose in Vaseline then getting cotton ball with it and transferring them to a bowl about three or four feet away, stacking cups in pyramid formation (one handed) and then taking them down by using one cup to collect all of them by collapsing them and taking a measuring tape to get a ping pong ball into a bowl about four feet away ( more difficult than what it seems). The gymnasium filled with laughter and encouragement with each game.

It was a very enjoyable experience to say thank you to all of us volunteers and I hope that next year I can make it for the tour portion also.

Hope you enjoyed this post!
'Til next time have a amazing day,



p.s. On another note in the life of this car novice - On Friday I was pleasantly surprised to have one of the volunteers give me a collector car magazine that is suppose to be like the bible of collector car magazines, Hemmings Classic Car. This was really very sweet of him, he had finished reading it and knows that I am trying to learn more about the cars.  I look forward to reading it and maybe passing on the information if I find anything really striking about some of the cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment